Alchemy was once the practice that brought science and stories together. Scholars, storytellers, magicians and chemists, sages and tricksters work to distill the essence of life. In modern times, science and fictional stories have drifted apart and are seen as two different things. Alchemy has become the domain of fantastic fiction. At a time when science and feeling are more at odds than ever, Imagine investigates a model in which the two merge. Not to make gold out of lead, but to gain insights that transcend the everyday.
The artwork is an interpretation of the Fantastic Alchemy theme by Maarten Donders, where he has implemented the Imagine colors in his vision of fantastic alchemy, virtual elements and the traditional alchemy symbols.
The main program Fantastic Alchemy is also extended into the ‘digital space’ in the special Expanded/VR program Virtual Alchemy. There are also Events, Talks, an Expo, and a Podcast!
- Eureka – Nicholas Roeg – UK 1981
- Photon – Norman Leto – Poland 2017
- The Vanishing – George Sluizer – NL 1988
- Vace de Noces – Thierry Zéno – Belgium 1974
- Film concert: Der Golem (1920, Germany) with music by Hunter Complex. A film from the holdings of the Friedrich-Wilhelm-Murnau-Stiftung (www.murnau-stiftung.de) in Wiesbaden.
Imagine Fantastic Film Festival has multiple themes. A general genre-wide program, a country focus, a special, an Expanded/VR program, and the professionals program under the theme ‘Industry’. Read more about the theming of our program here, or choose directly for the relevant theme information via the blocks below.